by Dr. G. Pepper | Jun 14, 2009 | diet and weight loss, general health & nutrition, nutrition, Uncategorized, weight gain, weight loss
Ugh! I ate too much/ate the wrong things/have indigestion/feel gassy!!!!
A simple fix to the occasionally off tummy caused by a variety of mealtime experiences including a strange combination of foods from a sunny day picnic, a late night out with alcohol and cheap diner food or even just monthly gassiness or eating too much of something you know always gives you gas, try this simple medicinal salad at your next meal:
- 4 cups of washed mixed greens or lettuce (this looks like a lot, but you’ll love it)
- Enough raw apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice to coat the clean dried leaves (about 2-3 tbsp)
- 1 tsp olive or flaxseed oil
- a tiny bit of salt and fresh pepper
- top with cilantro/parsley and or cucumber if you have it
This is a recipe for one. Stay away from tomatos, carrots, olives or any other normal salad topping. Have this at your next meal following the unhappy meal that caused the upset.
How’s it work?
The greens and raw vinegar/lemon juice act as alkalizing brooms through your system, helping the body to process that funny meal with ease.
What’s it do?
It will relieve bloating, gas, slight reflux and sluggishness. Don’t be afraid to have this late at night after your meal in question to get a better night’s rest or as an appetizer for the next meal you’re hungry for.
Kimberly, counselor since 1998 and founder of www.RedAppleYoga.com, holds a Masters in Health & Healing as a Certified Nutritional Counselor, a Masters in Education and is an internationally trained advanced Â Yoga and Yoga Therapy instructor that has worked and studied in New York, Spain and in Southern India. Her practice is based in New York City. She believes in showing her clients how to combine time-tested ancient theories with modern knowledge to get the best benefits from both worlds.
by Dr. G. Pepper | May 2, 2009 | diet, diet and weight loss, general health & nutrition, health, metabolism, weight loss
Did you know that nutrition is just as much about HOW and WHEN you eat as it is about what you eat?
Did you know that you can get more nutrients from eating your favorite neighborhood pizza in the right way, than you could from eating a steamed organic bowl of vegetables in the wrong way?
Ayurveda, the ancient system of health from India has given us tools to maximize the nutrients we get from our foods and to improve our digestion. So here’s 3 quick and crucial tips from ancient India!:
- When you eat, no matter what it is, chew it slowly, aiming for at least 30 chews per mouthful. Our saliva is the first step of digestion. Chewing well breaks down the food before your stomach processes it, exposing more of the nutrients to your body and also minimizing problems with reflux, acid and indigestion. Plus, savoring your food makes it last longer and may reduce the total amount of food you need to feel satisfied.
- When eating a heavy food like pizza, burgers, ice cream etc. try to eat these foods earlier on in the day, say for lunch or for an early dinner before 6:00pm. This will allow your body to digest and process the food before bed, going to sleep with a full stomach is at the root of a lot of weight management problems.
- When you eat a heavy meal, start with a raw salad filled with tons of crisp greens and your favorite light veggies like tomatos, cucumber, carrots etc topped with a light vinegar based dressing. The raw veggies act like a broom through the stomach, helping the body to digest the main meal and helping you maintain your weight.
Ancient India and China have a variety of techniques that can change your life depending on your lifestyle, body type, appetite, region that you live amongst many other considerations. This is something that an experienced practitioner can help you to decide. The above 3 suggestions will work for anyone anywhere and will provide simple and dramatic changes. Try them on for yourself and see how simple big change can be!